• 175g plain white flour
• 3 tbsp custard powder
• 1 tbsp baking powder
• 3tbsp white caster sugar
• 100g butter, cubed, softened
• 1 egg
• ½ tsp vanilla extract
• 1 tbsp milk, if necessary
Custard Cream Filling:
• 200g icing sugar
• 4 tbsp custard powder
• 100g unsalted butter, softened
- Combine the flour, custard powder, baking powder and caster sugar together in a bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture becomes the consistancy of breadcrumbs.
- Add the egg and the vanilla extract. Mix until the ingredients come together into a smooth ball. If too dry add the milk one drop at a time. Gather the dough ball and wrap tightly in clingfilm. Let the dough rest in the fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- To make the custard cream filling, mix the icing suger and custard powder in a bowl, then beat in the batter until light and fluffy. add the 2 teaspoons of boiling water and mix until smooth. Cover and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas mark 4 and line a baking sheet with greaseproof paper. Roll out the dough on a floured surface to about 5 mm thick. Dust Dexam custard cream cookie cutter and press with flour before using, place cutter on dough and push cutter into dough to cut biscuit shape. Depress central button on cutter to release the dough from the mould and imprint the design on to an even number of biscuits.
- Place on prepared baking tray. Bake for 12-15 minutes until just golden at the edges, then transfer to a wire rack to cool. Once cool sandwich them together with a teaspoon of the filling.