For the Meringues: 3 egg whites, 1/2tsp lemon juice, 150g golden caster sugar
For the Filling: 150ml double cream
For the Topping: a mixture of berries or fresh fruit of choice, icing sugar, grated chocolate
- Preheat oven to 110 degrees, line two baking sheets. In a mixer, whisk the egg whites and lemon juice in a clean grease free bowl until they have doubled in size and hold form as stiff peaks.
- Put the mixer on a slow mix speed and add the sugar a spoonful at a time until fully combined and the mixture is smooth and glossy.
- Pipe 9 circles onto the baking sheets approx 7cm diameter each. Then pipe a second layer onto each meringue to make a nest shape allowing you to fill the centre when cooked.
- Bake for 2 hours until they are crisp. Turn the oven off and leave to cool completely.
- Whip the double cream until thick and pipable. When the meringues have cooled fill with the whipped double cream, top with berries or fresh fruit then dust with icing sugar and grated chocolate.
Looking to make ahead? The meringues can be made 2 days in advance and kept in an airtight container.